We all start the New Year with good intentions, be it stopping snacking, going for a ‘dry January’ or joining a slimming group. Here are some ways to keep your mind and actions going in the right direction.
- Discover your ‘Why?’ Asking yourself “Why” 5 times is a very good way to get to the bottom of your reasons as tp why you may self-sabotage as well.
- Ditch the “all or nothing” mindset. Setting unrealistic goals such as banning complete food groups can be a recipe for disaster. Adopting a moderate approach can really help.
- Turn “I Can’t“ into “I Can”. Write down 5 reasons as to why you might be stuck where you are. Now list 5 reasons why it is possible for you to eat more healthily.
- Learn to recognize the difference between emotional and physical hunger. All too often we turn to food when we are feeling happy or sad. Think about whether you are actually physically hungry before you have something to eat.
- Small steps can lead to big results. If you concentrate on one small consistent step each week, and build on these small, consistent habits, you will see success.
- Prioritise sleep. Many of us don’t get enough sleep. Set yourself a regular bedtime, limit screens before you go to bed, and you will find yourself sleeping better and feeling more energized.
- Find a positive role model. Having someone you admire and someone who you can aspire to be more like can really help you to stay on track and become a better you.
- Plan your indulgences. It’s very easy to have a treat now and again and if you aren’t being completely aware of this, it you can lead you to over indulge. If you have planned when you are going to have a treat then you are more likely to stick to your plan.
- Visualise your goal. Spend a few minutes each day thinking about your goal, where are you now, what else can you do to help you reach your goal, and take time to plan your next steps.