Mindfulness is a term that’s really big thing these days and as buzz words go , causes a lot of confusion. Mindfulness is about living in the moment and appreciating everything around you. We spend much of our lives regretting yesterday and worrying about tomorrow instead of focusing on making the most of today.
When it comes to mindful eating, there are many strategies that we can consider. I’m not suggesting that we complete all of these, but pick one that works for us and give it a go!
- Take your first bite with your eyes closed. Appreciate the smell and texture of the food. Ask yourself a couple of questions. Is it hot enough? Does it have enough seasoning? Enjoy the flavor and taste of your food.
- Eat with other slow eaters. There are many people who naturally eat slowly. Spend some time with them and pace yourself as they eat. Watch what they do and copy them. You may find you enjoy your food more.
- Heat your plate. I love my food hot and eat quickly before it gets cold. By heating your plate you can take your time as you eat.
- Identify tastes. Spend time guessing the ingredients used in the meals, and which tastes do you really enjoy? I’m a ginger fan so I try and add this spice to different meals.
- Plates and bowls. Always eat from a plate or bowl. Even if you are having a biscuit, get a plate out and take time to appreciate the taste of the biscuit. Treat it like a posh afternoon tea event.